Rediscovering Avalon

This is a site dedicated to the most important things to me, like love, inner peace, joy, kindness. A site dedicated to people discovering, or re-discovering the wonderous magical truth of who they are.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

The power of No

I’ve realised recently (somewhat to my own surprise) that I am not always very good at saying No. And I know I’m not the only one. I have seen plenty of people struggle with it over time at work, in relationships, in life…

‘How could I have said yes, when I meant No?. ‘I don’t have time for that extra piece of work, yet I’ve been roped into it…again’. ‘I don’t even want to be with that person, but I just can’t seem to tell him/her’. ‘

EnnnnnnnnnnnN.Ooooooooooooooo. They are only two letters, but their impact can be hugely significant.

The problem I’m finding is that when you don’t say no, sometimes that messes with the order of things and so the effect of not saying it can lead to a whole series of events, thoughts, words, actions, that maybe weren’t meant to happen at all.

The thing is, if you say No when your heart tells you to, you actually feel good. You feel a sense of peace, an expansion, an opening, a relief.

But you have to feel worthy to use No. You have to feel secure - like things will be OK if you say it. You need to have the confidence that you won’t lose that job, partner, friendship, deal... You need to realise that saying no isn’t the same as not being kind…

For tips on getting some practise saying no, this lady seems to be a bit of an expert on the subject. Check out this site: http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/tillman6.html

So today, let us celebrate the power and wonder of being able to honour ourselves enough to say no.

‘No thanks’. ‘No, that’s not going to work for me’. ‘No, I’m not able to manage that today’. ‘No, I’ve already made other plans’.

Without apology. Without explanation. Without remorse.

Just because it’s not right. And if it’s not right or not going to work for you, maybe it’s not meant to be.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can definitely relate to this one.

     
  • At 4:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this has always been a HUGE problem of mine. Being the accomodative Australian I've found since recently living in New York that New Yorkers have mastered the art of "No - this doesn't fit with me"... You hear it everywhere. In fact there are so many self helps advertised all over the place training people on the art.
    The need to 'please' is more prevalent in some. I think people really underestimate the self imposed stress and depression that results from constantly worrying "is what I am doing the right thing? will people still respect me if I don't do this/agree....lalalala"?
    With some this comes faster with maturity. With me...I definately stil need some work in shifting gears on this one! Well done Beth. Great site recco too.. :) xox

     

Post a Comment

<< Home