Rediscovering Avalon

This is a site dedicated to the most important things to me, like love, inner peace, joy, kindness. A site dedicated to people discovering, or re-discovering the wonderous magical truth of who they are.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

One small candle can light a darkened room

Good morning! I am starting to get into the routine of spending a few moments each morning with my smoothie and my journal and just seeing what arises in the consciousness.

Today it is a about helping others. A friend of mine is having a very tough time right now. She is feeling physically, emotionally, psychologically and spiritually destitute. I asked if there was something I could do, and she asked if I might be able to pray for her.

I don't see praying in a religious sense, but rather as a way of surrendering our pain to the light of some greater force at work in the universe. Doesn't matter what you call it. But it's there and it is loving.

So, this is what I wanted to write on my blog for today.

Let us pray for those who are lost in the darkness
of their own pain...of poverty...of persecution...of violence...of war...of ignorance

Let us pray that they find a candle of hope to light their their way
That the angels of mercy, compassion and love
lift them from their darkness.

In the darkness, we can find the light

For the children
who live underground (I saw this heartbreaking documentary a couple of weeks ago about some children in Bucharest living literally underground. They felt safer there than at home. Some were as young as 10 or 11 and each night they inhaled petrol or some other horrible fumes yet they had a dignity that I and a committment to live that I found incredible)
And breathe fumes into their lungs
To escape, just for a few moments
The desperation of their existence
May someone lend a hand urgently
Before it's too late.

There is so much pain
So much sadness
So much sorrow.

How can one possibly bear to look and see and engage?

Too much for small shoulders to carry
Too much for one heart to bear.
Yet somehow they carry on
Fighting for this gift (?) of life.

I feel so impotent
So lazy
So distant.

I hear the whispering of a divine message...

You alone cannot liberate
all beings
from their own pain
one must
ultimately
meet their own maker
and decide how to live

all you can do
is continue to liberate yourself
and in doing so
you give others the freedom to do so for themselves.

then you must follow the path
set before you
with joy and gladness and courage

for the angels will reveal to you
how you can make a difference
must make a difference.

But you must fill your own cup first
and fulfil your own dreams
for they are important too

and then the cup will overflow
and the love will be shared
it has to be

When you turn on the light in a darkened room
have you noticed how the darkness disappears?
Have you noticed how little light it takes
to cast away the darkness?
Just one small candle can light a whole room.

So it is with love.
Just a little love can cast away fear
But one candle can only do so much

Little by little
As we join together
We can spread the light
and then others can start to, are already,
igniting their own flames.

Peace be to all.
Amen.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 2:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for adding your little daily light and sharing it with us. Its beautiful and peaceful to read your blog, even than some days, like today, everything seems in darkness for more that I try to find a spot of light.
    Hope Barcelona will give me some positive energy this weekend, because sometimes I think that London absorbs it all from me.
    Besitos
    M

     
  • At 2:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it's very hard to be peaceful sometimes in London. Someone said recently they thought it was being swallowed by darkness. I know it definitely can be a cruel place to live, especially when you don't have a job, money or home you feel is yours. Hope you enjoy Barcelona. Are you just going for the weekend or staying there for a while? Lots of love coming to you. B xoxoox

     
  • At 3:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I got my M's mixed up. I know you are going to be pampered. Enjoy and see you when you get back. B

     
  • At 9:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful Beth, your words have strenghthened my belief that Love and Light will lift us all and carry us to the beautiful place from where we came. We are all on a journey to the light and Love that Is. Love to you in London. Jill

     

Post a Comment

<< Home