Rediscovering Avalon

This is a site dedicated to the most important things to me, like love, inner peace, joy, kindness. A site dedicated to people discovering, or re-discovering the wonderous magical truth of who they are.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Not driving a car

I haven’t had a car for what must be 8 years now. And I rarely drive although I still love it, especially over long distances on the open road. I’ve lived in cities all that time and to be honest, I don’t need a car. Nor do I really miss having one.

And I was thinking the other day how much not having a car is a major contribution to the environment. I recycle and minimise my use of plastic bags in the supermarket. I eat healthy food and try not to waste it. All those things help, but when you think about the effects of cars, there is a real potential to reduce the impact we have as individuals on our world.

Less use of non renewable resources eg petrol. Less pollution due to CO2, CO and nitrous oxide emissions, noise and dumping. More requirement for public transport and more pressure for organisations to continue to deliver those services. Less space requirements eg parking. Less potential road rage contributors…

So here’s to the power of PT (public transport), the push bike and those wonderful things called legs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home