Rediscovering Avalon

This is a site dedicated to the most important things to me, like love, inner peace, joy, kindness. A site dedicated to people discovering, or re-discovering the wonderous magical truth of who they are.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Tapping into the well

It's so easy to get trapped in the rat race and not even realise that what life has become is so unacceptable that you accept it as normal. And the less time you have to reflect, the deeper one gets entrenched in the status quo and the further away one gets from their inner wisdom and truth.

Well, that's what I have noticed has happened to me lately and I don't think I'm the only one.

I've been like a little mouse running on a treadmill for weeks. I feel irritable, lost, dazed and confused. I feel like I am running a race on one leg. Because I need to listen to my heart to function these days. And if I just get caught up in the 'rat race', I lose sight of all that is important to me and all there is to be grateful for and all that makes sense.

I'm not saying I need to go on expensive holidays, buy nice clothes, go out for nice dinners...

I'm talking, being actually able to listen to my beloved and really hear what he is saying. To make a nice healthy dinner, rather than grab something on the run [a lovely friend of mine made me sit down for a meal the other night when I was about to eat and walk home at 10pm]. To make time to connect with myself, so I can have a sense of peace in my day. To have the energy to smile at people. To laugh. To go for a walk. To know what's happening in the world. To lift the head up and look around.

There comes a point when all this running around is just not worth it. Sure, it's easier in some ways to always be in a rush, because then you don't need to deal with your issues or the mundanity of daily life, or take responsibilty for those nagging little things that stop one from being truely happy. You don't need to think. You don't need to grow. You don't need to become all you can be.

And I think it's important to realise in those moments of rushing, that there is a choice on some level. We don't have to say yes all the time. We can say no and not feel guilty. Putting your feet up for 5 minutes with a cup of tea (or half an hour, or an hour) is not laziness. It's self nurture. And frankly to get through life, this ability needs to be valued and appreciated.

So, just for today [it's 11.40pm on a sunday night and I have just finished working for the day], I say let's take a few moments to reflect on what's really important and to connect with what the heart is telling us and make a commitment to ourselves to spend time there each day. Even if it is only 10 minutes to feel grateful for the small blessings.

Because frankly life's just so much richer with those moments of peace and a perspective of love. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home